Friday 24 September 2010

8 Shot Journey Evaluation

Evaluation
I have produced a sequence of an 8 shot journey capturing 8 separate shots that shows one continuous journey. To do this I had to complete a storyboard. My storyboard contained 8 illustrated shots of the journey which I filmed in the areas I chose to locate my shots. The storyboard holds information about the detail of each shot. The camera shot sizes have to be stated on the storyboard. The shots I used in my sequence vary from a close up to a wide shot, by having different varieties of shots this makes the film more interesting and conveys different meanings to the viewer. The close up shot I captured in one of my shots adds more detail in the film as it focuses on only one object, it doesn’t include any background to distract the viewer to something else happening around. Whereas on one of my long shots there is other people and things happening in the background to show the viewer where it is taking place and to show this isn’t as important as other shots. It contains notes of what is happening in each shot in the sequence, the notes are as detailed as possible including what is happening at the start of every shot and what happens at the end of every shot. It tells you exactly where the person is going or what they are doing whilst this shot is happening and what I intended to have captured in this shot. The illustrations are another main point on the storyboard. These should look like what you filmed on camera. My illustrations show what the person is doing in that shot, it shows you where they are in that shot, it also shows you what is expected to be in the background of the shot and there are arrows demonstrating the continuity of travel of the person in the s.
Just before shooting the sequence I striped my labelled tape for at least 15 minutes as this sets the time code, also I started filming 20 seconds in to the tape as the start of the tape has a chance of being damaged. We used a tripod for filming as this hold the camera steady and in place while you shoot, it benefits you as it can reach high shot sizes and turn on to different positions to shoot awkward angles. I recorded ‘handles’ on some of my takes this makes the post production easier but also it makes sure you capture the entire shot not just right from the start and right from when they exit the shot. I recorded 4 of my shots twice as some of them I didn’t feel like I captured the camera shot size right, some of the shots went very quickly so I re-shot them at a slower pace, and another shot the camera was moving so I had to go back and make sure everything was in place for the second shot.
Before editing the sequence we have to use time-code which is the hours, minutes, seconds and frames that have been recorded. This lets you know how long you have recorded for. We have to complete a log sheet, this contains information about the time-code throughout the 8 shots. I went through each shot and logged the time the shot starts and then the time the shot ends. I then logged what size the shot was and a little description of the shot and its location. I put a comment next to each shot explaining what went wrong with the shots I did more than one take on, and put ‘ok’ next to the ones that I was going to be using along with a tick or a cross next to them showing which ones were wrong and right. The information on the log sheet helped me because when it came to editing the shots, I knew straight away which shots I was using out of the second takes I did. You also know the times of each shots beginning and end so you can put them in when your logging the shots to get the right times.
When I came to finally edit my sequence I used a programme called Final Cut Pro. This programme is a professional piece of editing software. When capturing your sequence it takes all the footage from the tape you recorded on and digitises it onto the computer and on to final cut pro. I knew what needed capturing because I had previously done the logging sheet before which tells me what shots I was using. I did ‘trim’ my takes before putting them on the time line to make a smoother running edited sequence from shot to shot. If I was to do this exercise again I would put longer handles on my shots to make the post production a lot better. I would also think more carefully about the shots I was using and maybe use more adventurous shot sizes and camera angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment